Thursday, July 27, 2006

Don't talk about me when I'm gone

I give some details about my final night at home and saying good-bye to Marie in the next, and final, entry to this, my actual 1985 diary.

For now, I'll just mention how strange it is for me to remember that I spent part of my last evening at home before leaving for college for the first time with Paul, better known to the guys as "Pringles."

It's just that he and I didn't stay very close after school finished, so reading about our movie plans for my final night home comes off a little odd to me now.


Friday, Aug. 23, 1985
1:02-1:38 Pm


Well, time's running out, if I want to write one more entry before I leave for Middletown, so here it is.

I can't remember, like usual, everything that's happened in the past two weeks, or so. Last Saturday, I believe, Benji, Larry, Aaron and myself got together, and saw "The Return of the Living Dead" at Bridgton. First we met at ABEP, then Larry went to pick up Judy. Benji, Aaron and myself went to P&C in Aaron's car, to see if we could catch Sammy Manners, before he went in to work at P&C. It seems a few nights bfore, Manners and Aaron and Benji had an egg fight, and Aaron was hot for revenge. We drove in and we driving back out when he happened to be driving in. Aaron and him drove head-on to each other and stopped inches from their bumpers. Then, by chance I think, Larry drove in and touched bumpers with Manner's back bumper. He was trapped! It was pretty funny. Aaron and Manners had a few words, and then Larry backed-up when Sammy threatened him with a can of shaving-cream.

After that we went to Sky Gate for a while, and then to the movie. At the movie we met Mike Miller and Jack Kramer, two other people that were with Sammy when the egg fight occurred. We met them again at McDonald's, and by chance Sammy drove in. Aaron and him had another exchange of words, even less friendly than before. Then we drove off and went to Juan's and had a snack.

Then Aaron drove Benji and I back to our cars, which we parked at ABEP. When we got there Kramer, Miller and Manners were inside ABEP. Benji and I went and got into our cars, and we all took off. They got into their car and followed Benji and I up Hospital Hill. They pulled parallel to me and asked me where Aaron was. I said he'd gone home.

Later, Benji and I stopped at his house (Benji's) and had a laugh over the evening.

Next thing I can remember is going to Pinard, NY, with Marie and her mom on Wednesday. We left around 9:45 Am and spent the day clothes shopping for Marie. It wasn't as boring as you might think.

Once we got home, we went here and got freshened up a bit, and then went to watch the rest of Maynard City Band. After the concert we went up to say good-bye to Benji, since he left the next day. Paul and Ted Rodriguez were there, too. We talked for probably a good hour, and then Marie and I went in Benji's car to Bridgton, so he could say good-bye to Liza Polanski and get a present from Julie, which she left in her mailbox for him.

We got at Liza's and Marie and myself stayed in the car. After about an hour, we were getting fed-up. I mean, he had said that he had to say good-bye to her, not live with her. So Marie and I went insde to see what was taking so long. Marie was less than friendly, and she really embarrassed me by the pushy way she acted. On our way back out to the car, I told her she had embarrassed me. I got into the front seat of the car, and set my elbow up on the open window "sill" and held onto the section between the front and back windows, which were both open. Only, I must has put my hand up there after Marie had opened the back door to get in, so that my hand could get into the crack of the door. Marie got inside and must have locked the door, before slamming, because when I screamed for her to open the door, several times in rapid succession, she replied, "I can't!" I reached around with my other hand and unlocked the door for her, and finally she got it open. I pulled out my hand and was relieved to find all of my fingers, only three of them had very deep dents in them, and needless to say, they hurt like three mother-fuckers. I ran inside and got some ice for them.

Then Benji drove us back ... but wait. When I came back from going inside to get the ice, Marie had left the car, and was nowhere in sight. All of us looked around for her and finally she was coming back. Benji drove us home, or rather, to my car, in Maynard. We said good-bye to Benji, until December, and then we got ito our car. Marie had taken my sweatshirt I had loaned her off and I asked her why she did it, when I knew that she had been real cold earlier that night. She started to cry and said that she felt so terrible for acting the way she did, and then hurting me that she had taken it off.

Well, I brought her home and we showed her mom my thumb, which by now was the only finger which looked very bad. I went home and went to bed.

Now it's still a little swollen and hurts a little, but it looks like it's going to be okay. Right now I can't feel part of it, but I think that's because of a pinched nerve, and I hope the feeling will come back.

It was kind of sad to say good-bye to Benji. He should have gotten to Nebraska somewhere late yesterday afternoon, and my mother had talked to his mother and I guess he had had it okay, except for his baggage.

Yesterday I went to the dentist and registered for the draft and then picked-up my last paycheck at P&C. Then I came back home and mowed the lawn. Later that evening I brought Marie out for pizza, around 9:00 Pm, after her field hockey practice. Then we went back to her house, and I stayed a little while and then left.

Well, this is it I guess. This afternoon I'm going to finish packing, and then Paul mentioned going to see a movie with me with evening. After that I'm going to go over to Marie's and we're maybe going to go have a creemee, and then we're going to say good-bye, for a while at least.

We finally had a little talk about what we expect of each other while we're away from each other. I told her I didn't expect her not to see other guys for the rest of high school, and she said that if I found someone I liked better than her, that she'd understadnd. So I guess the understanding is that we can see other people, but if both of us are happy seeing each other, we'll keep it going.

All I've got to pack now are my clothes and a few other small things, like this diary. I don't know how much time I'm going to have to write in it at Middletown, but I figure it can't be any less than I've done this summer! It's really hard to believe that tommorrow I'll be on my way, and that Sunday, after I've got my stuff moved in, my parents will be going back home, and I'm going to be left 225 miles from home, not knowing one person at all. It really scares me.

I found out where I'm living and my roomate. I'm living in the Evans Hall. Evans was my first choice. As far as I can figure, I'm on the 10th floor. The evening I found out my roommate, Peter Milton, he gave me a call. I guess he had called info and gotten my number. Anyway, we talked about 20 minutes, first about stuff we needed to figure out, like who's going to bring the stereo. We decided to have our personal phone insalled in our room. It's going to cost each of us about $122 for the school year, and then extra for each long-D call and each local call. We're going to use our old white phone. It makes me feel a little better, to think that I'm going to always have a line back home, even if I'm going to have to pay a lot for it.

Then we talked about where we come from and what we're going to be doing at Middletown. He went to summer orientation, so he'll get there a day later then me. All and all, he sounded like a pretty okay guy, and I hope we'll be able to get together.

Well, I think that's it. I better start to finish my packing, and what have you. I'll write sometime at Middletown, so until then (gulp) ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home