Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Corvette summer

Marie's father's 1978 Corvette, mentioned in this, the 26th entry to my actual 1985 diary, was one of many lasting memories I have of our times together.

Her father, I'll call him "Dave" here, was a somewhat stoic man. Grumpy might be a better word for it. While the woman he chose to marry was an outgoing, amicable person — Marie's mother was the first older woman I ever found myself attracted to, albeit, probably because she reminded me of her daughter — Dave rarely had a word to say. And when he said it, it rarely sounded happy about it.

But he did have impeccible taste in cars.

Marie was too young to drive when we were together, so the occasions when we were granted permission to take the Vette, I always occupied the driver's seat.

While the car was a treat to look at — and I'll always remember it fondly — I gotta admit a lawn tractor gave a smoother ride.

Sunday, Aug. 11, 1985

2:25-3:01 Pm

Well, it's been practically another whole month, so I guess it's time I did some more wriitng. It's just that I've been so busy, I haven't had the time. When I'm not at work, I've been over to Marie's camp or doing something else.

Well, I'm not even going to try and account for what's happened since the last time I wrote. First really big thing I can remember in the past was when me and Marie went to Lawrence in the Vette. I beleive that was July 30, a Tuesday. We went up in the afternoon and went to Hotkins and walked around a bit there. We had stopped at a P&C store to ask for directions at a restaurant Marie's dad recommended, and we couldn't find. Since we were stopped in Hotkins, we decided to walk around a bit. We did, and stopped in the lobby of their auditorium and looked at the art work, and what have you.

Then we walked back to the car, to find that we had locked it and couldn't figure out how to get back in. We tried both of the keys, but neither of them seemed to work. Marie went inside to try and call her dad to find out, what we were doing wrong, while I went outside to try some more. Finally I got the thing to open, only after I got a lot of suspicious looks from people probably thinking that I was trying to break into the car. Anyway, Marie couldn't get the phone to work anyway, so that was okay. Finally, we found the restaurant, and had a nice meal. Afterwards, we called Aaron from a phone booth in the restarant, to ask if it was okay if we dropped by for a visit. He had something to do that night, so we didn't go over. Instead we drove home and went to see a movie in Bridgton: "Back to the Future." We kind of had to hurry home to make it, going about 70 mph on the cruise control. Then we stopped by my house to freshen up a bit, and then we went to the movie.

The next day, wait a minute. That night Marie spent the night here, because nobody was home at her house, and her mom wouldn't let her stay home in the house alone. After the movie we switched cars at her house, and then came here, after we stopped in a parking place a little before my house and did some serious fooling around.

Anyway, we got home and went to bed, she slept in my sister's room. In the morning, Nana came over, because my mother had the week off, and was going to go to Dawson that day. Me and Marie were going to go, too, but didn't when we found out that my grandmother was going.

Instead we did some errands and what have you, downtown in the Vette, and then cam back here to cook a cheesecake. We ended up not having enough stuff so we put it off, and watched TV instead.

Then I had to bring her home so she could go back out to camp with her dad that evening, and then I came home.

Next thing I can remember is Saturday the 3rd which was my birthday. It was also the day that Marie had planed on having Aaron, Benji and Chris out to camp. Chris couldn't make it, but Aaron and Benji did. They arrived about an hour after I did.

We tubed and then tried to ski, and got up after about five tries. Then her parents left to go out to eat, and we made ourselves burgers. Then she gave me a cake, and they sang happy birthday, and we ate it. After we went out in the boat and drove around a bit. Then Aaron and Benji left and I think me and Marie watched a movie.

That time I stayed out until Monday, I think. I worked Tuesday morning, so I left Monday evening.

I worked all this past week in frozen, which isn't as bad as bagging. Friday after noon I got out at 2:00 Pm, and then I drove out to Gravely. Marie pulled me and Mike tubing in the early evening, and then we went back in. I left around 9:20 Pm, because I had to work at 7:00 Am in the morning.

I got out at noon on Saturday, so I drove out again and stayed over until noon on Sunday. I don't have to work until 7:00 Pm tonight, but today is there last day out at camp, and they had to pack and what have you. Yesterday Marie pulled me and Greg Petri tubing and I hit a large wave and we up and hit my knee against my jaw, slamming me teeth together and biting my lip, causing it to split.

I thought it might need stitches, but didn't want them, so I just put ice on it and it was okay. It has split it open, but not too bad. That kind of put a damper on the afternoon, so eventually the rest of the people left back to their own camps.

Later that evening we pulled some othe kids tubing, and then me and Marie went back to her camp to have supper. Then we played a game of cards, or two, and then went to bed.

This morning we tried to go tubing again, but one of the tubes needed air, and try as me and Marie tried to get a pump to fill it up, we couldn't. And by the time we got back to the Petri's camp, it was raining, so we drove home. By that time it was noon, and her mom said that I had to leave by noon so they could pack, so I did.

I think that's about all of the important things that I've done in the past. The talent show at Daley was cancelled, so we couldn't even do our Dirt Bag routine.

Right now the only thing I can think about is going away to Middletown. It's just one of those things that I've known all along was at the end of this summer waiting for me, and there's just nothing I can do about it. Just simply, it scares me. I don't know if I'll be able to be happy without Marie, and without knowing if she still cares about me. When I think to the time that I'm going to have to say good-bye to her, it seems too unreal, and yet I know that in two weeks it will be done.

They've got me working every day from now until Friday, which is my last day. They've hade a few people quit on them, so they're hard up for help. It seems that nearly every day that I work, they ask me to stay late, but I've said no. They've also called me up a few times, but I've never gone in. Tonight and Monday night I bag, but the rest of the days is frozen. On the one hand I can't wait for work to get out, but on the other, after it gets out, I've only got one more week.

On Sunday the 18th me and Marie are going to see "Once Upon a Mattress" put-on in Collinsville by a professional group. I'm really excited to go and see it. We had also planned on going horseback riding and to a water-slide before the summer was over, but I think we'll be lucky just to do one of those things.

I had my hair cut a few days ago. I wanted something I little more in style, so I had it cut over my ears and really short on the sides and back. I kind of wanted it to stand-up a little on the top, but it doesn't too much. It is shorter, though, on the top.

Well, guess that's abou it for now. I'll try and write before I leave, and then I'm planning on taking this diary with me to Middletown, so I can continue it. I just wish I had a crystal ball to look into the future and see if I'll be happy, and if me and Marie stay together. I guess this diary will make for some good reading when this situation unfolds. Until later.

Appendix update: A-65 is my graduation card from Marie that I hid away and forgot to put in my diary; A-66 is a letter from Julie; A-67 is a letter from Bill back in the St E Center and apparently doing pretty well; A-68 is my birthday card from Marie. She also gave me a Lake Gravely sweatshirt. My parents are giving me a new watch, but I have to get around to picking it out.


Post a Comment

<< Home