Monday, May 30, 2005

Welcome (back) to the '80s

I'm in the process of readying the original typewritten pages of my 141-page diary from 1984 for posting here.

This will be substantially different from any other blog I've come across. While many blogs are, essentially, online diaries of one type or another, Real '80s Diary will be the actual word-for-word publishing of a personal journal I never intended to show anyone — much less, potentially, thousands and thousands of strangers.

With the anonymity the Web offers and the popularity and simplicity of blogging, I felt it'd be an interesting project. (No, Cameron isn't my real name, but you earn bonus points for determining the '80s icon my pseudonym references.)

How I've changed in the years between age 16 and 37 are, surely, immense. The cultural changes that have occurred are equally substantial. (How could I have imagined 20 years ago posting something like this diary on something like the Web?)

But, ultimately, I'm undertaking this project for personal reasons: Having spent the better part of my mid-30s questioning the value of my life and the way I'm living it, I thought I might learn more about myself and where I might be headed by looking back at where I've been.

Whether or not you lived through the '80s, I hope Real '80s Diary will provide you with a little insight into the era and myself — even though, considering the personal nature of this project, you are destined to know me only through my pseudonym.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts: cameron_frye@hotmail.com.

5 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger Troublemaker said...

Nice beginning - I look foward to more! I too lived the 80's (looks like I have a couple of years on ya, I gradutated high school in '83), and it'll be a cool way to remember how things were. Nice ABC reference, btw. Keep the blog coming!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Cool...
I am still stuck in the 80's! Just think. I'm 36 and going to a Duran Duran concert here in Milan and it feels like I am 16 all over again.. and then I look in the mirror :-)

Good idea though

Linda

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Cameron Frye said...

Troublemaker: ABC reference? I think you're thinking of _Martin_ Fry ... ;)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hey, I think this is VERY interesting... Just wondered how this would make you feel.... I was Born In '84

LOL Nice Blog

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Cameron Frye said...

Hey, everyone's gotta be born sometime! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home